From Philly to Boston – Mike Rossi (April 20, 2015)

It was quite a journey. Who would have thought a mere 27 months ago, when I first started “running,” that I would have the opportunity to take part in the most prestigious race in the world – The Boston Marathon.

I trained hard, like all of my fellow runners.

I ran through a cold and icy winter of training, including many miles on the “Dreadmill.”

A nasty hip injury brought my training to an early end, limiting me to a single six mile run in the four weeks leading up to the race.

Then, the day before we left for Boston, my grandmother died. I was fortunate to have the chance to say goodbye the day before she passed away. I wrote her name on my arm, along with the initials of my stepfather (who passed away nine years ago), and those of my wife and two children, so I could have them all with me during the race.
I am also thankful for everyone who took a moment to wish me well, or give me words of encouragement. It truly meant the world to me.

You were all with me.

Thanks in large part to the support of my family and friends (and doctors), I was able to finish and brought you all across that finish line with me.

11150914_10205013695556740_7389494547137620301_nMostly I am thankful my family was there to experience this with me. We had an amazing time in Boston. The people of that great city welcomed us with open arms and made us each feel like one of them all weekend.

As for the race, the weather was, well, just terrible: cold, rain and 30-40 mph winds in our faces. One veteran Boston Marathon runner told me it was the worst he’d ever seen.
But after everything I went through to get here, the weather was just another hurdle to overcome.

The course was everything I thought it would be and more, and the people who lined every mile of the race were simply inspiring! Their cheers of support and encouragement will be something I never forget.

Also, the amazing, wonderful, helpful volunteers were probably my favorite part of the entire race. They always had a smile and offered words of encouragement, despite the nasty conditions.


11182119_10205044733132660_4919747645653865579_n (2)As for the actual running, my hip was OK until around mile 11, then it really started to hurt. At mile 15 the pain was excruciating. By mile 20 I couldn’t feel anything and had to keep looking down at my legs to see if they were moving.

And as time passed, the impact of the weather conditions increased. My hands were starting to go numb, and I was afraid I would get hypothermia, so I stopped and got a heat sheet at one of the medical tents.

The heat sheet worked like a charm and really warmed me up. I tossed it around mile 21 and ran the rest of the way without one.

The pain was intense, especially for the last two miles, but by the time I made that wonderful left turn onto Boylston Street, I had forgotten the pain and I really soaked in
the cheers from the crowds.

That last .2 mile down Boylston Street was simply incredible. I can’t even describe it.

The best part was my family right at the finish line to see me cross.

Not my best time, but considering my health and the weather, I was happy with my 4:01.

M Rossi CollageThanks for everyone’s support over these last many months! I hope to come back to Boston and run again when I’m healthy.

Mike Rossi
Rydal, Pennsylvania


Here is a video is about Mike’s The 2015 BOSTON MARATHON